JJJJ Monk - Personal Blog for Jamie, Jurirat, Jessica and John


Saturday, May 26, 2007

Jessica's New School

Jessica has been back at school for 2 weeks now, and it has been a bit weird for her. We decided to put her in the English program at her school rather than the Thai program. They are basically different schools, although with the same management. Now, instead of all Thai teachers (except an occasional English lesson with a foreign teacher), Jessica has a foreign teacher all the time with instruction in English. In fact right now she has 3 teachers in her class of 22 - teacher Danielle is a Swiss lady and an experienced teacher, plus teacher Ricky who is a new teacher "learning" from Danielle, PLUS teacher Mook, a Thai teacher (all classes have both Thai and foreign). Plus, all the students in the class are new to Jessica, it's a different building, different way of teaching etc... So Jessica has been rather thrown in at the deep end!

Mam takes Jessica to school in the morning, but since the school is "on the way" to my work, I stop by most mornings too. Can't pick her up though, save for her first few days when I was still on holiday. I think the new school will help her become a bit more sensible. I swear we can see a change already. The little girl is getting bigger...

Next year, it's time for John to start kindergarten. It's normal here for kids to start at 3 years old. Hard to imagine John at school right now! We are not sure if we'll put him in the English or Thai program. The money is one issue (English is way more), but language is another - John is like Jessica was - we speak English almost all the time at home (well, I do... and Mam most of the time with the kids). When Jessica started kindergarten she needed to learn more Thai, and I think John will be the same.

Here's some photos of Jessica on her first day at school...