JJJJ Monk - Personal Blog for Jamie, Jurirat, Jessica and John


Friday, January 18, 2008

January 2008 - Monks in Thailand

Can you hear the ticking of the clock? Time ticks away in seconds, minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, lifetimes. The year says 2008, I will be 39 years old this year. One of my friends from University (Robert) is 40 already. I had a good chat with Robert and Claire at Christmas time. Making up for being such a bad emailer. Sorry for being busy, work and family take up all the time. I'd like to have more family time, as I guess would many other people round the world. My family is all that matters. It's been a long month and a half since this blog was last updated. Back in England, Mum has been in and out of hospital since her bladder was removed. All kinds of blood problems which has been diagnosed as high Potassium. Only in the last week has she been feeling better. Now Dad has to watch his diet too due to high blood pressure. He works so hard to look after his wife.

As for us.... I am working hard, it's high season, enough said. Work talk is boring. Mam is looking forward to May when John starts Kindergarten. Freedom! Jessica is doing well at school. I mean, she's 6 and they do all kinds of tests - written and oral Thai and English, Maths, Social Science... She tends to allow her mind to wander though. Too much daydreaming.. But she's only 6! I am sure when I was 6 we did not have so many tests (or any tests) and she gets homework almost every day too! John will start soon... I am sure he will cry on the first day, maybe every day - he's a mummy's boy and a daddy's boy too.

Enough Yak Yak. You know I don't like to write much. Lots of photos below.


A visit to Phuket Aquarium in December. Mam's son Eng was with us too. I have lost count how many times we have been here. Jessica just went today on a school trip too! The Aquarium now has an outdoor nature trail where you can walk along to a turtle breeding center (see Phuket Aquarium on Jamie's Phuket Blog). The kids like to play on an old boat and there are also some playground toys/climbing frames.

John makes a monkey face on a climbing frame at the aquarium
John in the aquarium
John playing at the aquarium John on the boat at the aquarium
John, Jessica and Eng at the Aquarium
John, Jessica and Eng on the boat
Jessica playing on the boat

Chalong Jetty - Lots of boats and a bit of exercise. It's about 700 meters long. We go now and then for an evening walk.

Jessica at Chalong Jetty

Kids at Ton Sai Waterfall in the jungle.... There are several watefalls in Phuket, none of them very big, but all give you a bit of a jungle experience. Ton Sai is part of Khao Phra Thaeo National Park - free entry after 3pm, so we went after 3pm. Kids enjoyed the walk/climb and playing with big leaves.

 
 


We had a Christmas. It's not the same as when I were a lad, but we do Christmas for the kids. Give them presents, have fun, don't eat turkey. We went to the Beach Bar in the evening for Christmas. John was a bit unwell and had a fever for 4 days after Christmas, then I got a fever for 2 days too. Mam felt a bit under the weather, Jessica seems to be indestructible. She does not get sick.

John playing with toy soldiers on Christmas Day
John playing with toy soldiers on Christmas Day
John playing with toy soldiers on Christmas Day
John got a new King Peter Hat
John likes his new King Peter Hat

John attacking some breakfast
John very happ with new sword John is King Peter of Narnia
Super Girl! Jessica saying hello from the tent
John at the Beach Bar in a rather pensive mood and about to have a fever for 4 days
Jessica playing with magnets
Jessica super model
Jessica on Christmas Morning
Jessica and John on Christmas morning
Jessica meets Ken
Jessica likes Ken
Jessica at the Beach Bar
Jessica in silly Xmas hat
2 silly hats


January 11th was John's 3rd Birthday. There is something about the fact that John was born so soon after the tsunami, and I still get thoughts in my head about "what if".. John is a miracle to me and I shed a few tears on his birthday. We had a big party that we are still recovering from a week later! I think for Jessica's 7th birthday in July we might do a party at the Beach Bar rather than at home.

 


(above) John, Calvin, Sarah (blue dress) and Amy (pink dress)


Scrum around the cake...


Cutting the Mickey Mouse cake..


Hey, leave some for me!


Not sure about this cake, daddy...


Really not sure about this cake, daddy...


Yuk. No thanks, daddy. Where did you buy this thing?


A couple of days after his birthday, John fell over and cracked the bone in his little finger, poor wee lamb. A day later I asked him "how's your finger?" and he said "It's OK now". Tough cookie, John.

Ouch daddy

Jamie's Email: jjjjmonk@yahoo.co.uk
Jamie's Phuket : https://www.jamiesphuketblog.com/

All welcome to stay with us in Phuket, or stay in a hotel if you want! Over the years we have said hello to my parents (quite a few times), Ruth (now appearing in Madagascar), Liz and Ben were here (now proud parents of Henry), Phil Smart came a long time ago when Jessica was small, Kerry has been twice and Alan once; Steve and Fran of Bundu fame came with George, who was a baby last time I saw him in 1999. Come to Phuket coz Lord only knows when we'll be in England or anywhere else!

Good night from Phuket, its 1am. Takes ages to upload these photos! I need a coffee!

Love from Jamie, Mam, Jessica and John